Sunday, September 27, 2009

Shortbread "Serpentine" cookies recipe

Today I tried to make cookies from this Web site: www.say7.info. If you speak Russian – go ahead and try some recipes there, whatever I tried work well for me. If you don’t speak Russian, all you can do just look at the pictures and read my recipe trial post :) .


These shortbread cookies turned out to be very tasty and delightful. But I’ll need to work on presentation a little bit more. Baking is not my strong quality, so if I could make it, anyone can do it too.

You need:

- 8 oz (1 cup, 2 sticks, ½ pound) sweet unsalted butter
- 1 cup of granulated sugar or 1 3/5 cups of powdered sugar (7 oz. or 200 g.)
- 1 teaspoon of vanillin or 2 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 cups of all purpose flour (15-16 oz., 420-450 g.)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa



Leave butter at room temperature until fully softened. Mix butter with sugar and vanillin. I didn’t have powdered (confections, icing) sugar and used regular one. I used artificial vanillin, which is not the best choice. It leaves bitter aftertaste sometimes. It is better if you find natural vanillin for most of the meals, but synthetic one worked well for me in this recipe.


Add 2 eggs, mix well.








Add flour and baking powder, make dough. You can substitute baking powder with baking soda and vinegar mixture. Instead of 1 teaspoon of baking powder you’ll need ½ teaspoon of baking soda which must be mixed with some vinegar.




Divide dough in two equal parts. Stir cocoa into one part.






Roll out light (yellow) dough into a square. I put some olive oil on the cooking surface before rolling out dough. It might be a good idea to use foil or parchment paper, because dough came out pretty sticky.






Take aluminum foil, cut it in dough’s square size, and then place chocolate dough on it and roll dough out.






After chocolate square is ready, place on the top of vanilla one and put foil away.







Make a roll. This was not the easiest task for me because dough was not firm and was too sticky. This step must be done patiently and carefully. I messed something up and my cookies didn’t come out as pretty as they should. But they were tasty ones!

Place the roll into freezer for 10-15 minutes. I placed it first on the foil and then on the cutting board.


After dough had firmed a little, cut it in about ½ inch (1 cm.) slices. Place on a cooking sheet. Make sure you use parchment (baking) paper or slightly oil cooking sheet beforehand.

Bake cookies for 15-20minutes at 350 F or until browned.




Cool the cookies or serve them warm with vanilla ice cream.





Enjoy!






Ala

0 comments:

Cooking: Fun & Easy!   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP